Friday, May 7, 2010

Scripts.

As those of you who know me will already be aware of, I have a huge interest in language. Those of you who don't and haven't been following;
Have a look.

When I like a text, I don't just like it. I examine the text from every angle. When I love a text, the way I talk about it is incredibly impassioned- I am known for 'talking with my hands', but when I talk about a narrative or piece that I love, either my body language is so animated that I am exhausted by the end of a ten minute conversation, or I drift off in thought and speak as if I'm having an out of body experience.
When I very much dislike a piece, funnily enough, I have the same reaction. I love debate, analysis, and different viewpoints.

When I am asked to perform something, something scripted, I can't look at a piece without analysing every technique used, every inflection, every action in the stage directions. I love to act, and though I lack the necessary skill, it's one of the few times in my life I feel confident. The other is in my writing.
Back to the topic at hand.
For my extra-curricular drama class, I was given a monologue. Well, I've been given two, but this monologue I am to perform in front of parents, siblings, and anyone else who wants to show up. (Monologues are playing a big role in my drama studies this year, actually- for my exam in term two, I have been asked to write a monologue and perform it, and if it goes well, I aim to post it on here. If it doesn't... we shall see.)
This monologue appears to be untitled, and I don't know if it is from a play, but almost every word within it I agree with.
I am very much looking forward to performing it, it's not just a monologue, it's an opinion.
I'm not going to post the whole thing, just my favourite line.
...so I got frustrated and looked up the word "perfect in the dictionary. You know something, it's ironic, that we're all striving for an idea that comes somewhere between "penguins" and "pinball".

It's not that ironic, just stupid, put that way.
In my dictionary, perfect and all its affiliates come between perfidious- "Treacherous or decietful" and peremptory- "expecting immediate obedience without any discussion."
Is perfect average? Or better than? For that matter, what is better than average?
It's all opinion.

Before I finish, I want to thank a friend of mine who mentioned.. well, dedicated a blog post to me. It was really something, and a smart way to actually make me accept a compliment. I really appreciate it. And until that last paragraph, where you directly addressed me, you'd judged my response perfectly.

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment